October 23rd, 2013 / Tags:2013
, America's Favorite Farmers' Market
, Manistique Farmers' Market
, Manistique Michigan
, Upper Peninsula
/ Categories: Manistique
, Manistique Farmers' Markets
, Michigan Agriculture
, Upper Peninsula
No Comments »
October 23, 2013 – The final Manistique Farmers’ Market of 2013 is this afternoon from 4-6pm in the Community Building next to Michigan Works (right next to the parking area at Little Bear West Arena where we normally set up with the canopies). What can you expect at today’s Market? Check it out:
- Squash (varieties)
- Pumpkins (for pies and for jack-o-lanterns)
- Potatoes (varieties)
- Baked Goods (Kathy Lepisto will be there with cinnamon rolls, and more …. Bella Farm will be there with a variety of cookies, pies, and more)
- Eggs – best eggs I’ve ever had are from the Manistique Farmers’ Market
- Honey – Wrights have the happiest bees in the UP!
- Pancake Mix
- Maple Fudge
…. last chance to get all the local delicious foods at the Manistique Farmers’ Market for 2013. Today, 4-6pm!
It was a windy day for the Manistique Farmers’ Market yesterday and a real test on our new canopies (and the Market Master’s fortitude!). In spite of the wind, we had a great day at the market, with 246 shoppers coming through. Here’s the line waiting for the opening bell:
I know folks were disappointed at the limited supply of strawberries, but if we really want to commit to eating local foods and supporting local farmers, then we also have to be ready to roll with the ebb and flow of agriculture. We had a mild winter and strawberries started to bloom early – this was followed by below freezing temperatures which cost the strawberry farmers considerable portions of their crop this year.
Don’t be dismayed at the shortage of a particular produce, there is still plenty of yummy and nutritious foods coming to the market each week – and that’s just going to increase in variety and quantity as we continue through October. The farmers are predicting some produce such as tomatoes, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries will be abundant this season (barring snow in August, major hail storms, or locusts).
We will be open next Wednesday, July 4th from 4-6pm, followed by Music in Manistique at 7pm featuring the Floyd Brothers.
Tomorrow (Wednesday, June 27th) marks the 6th Manistique Farmers’ Market of 2012, and the beginning of our extended market hours of 4-6pm. We will be open every Wednesday through October 31st at the Little Bear West Arena in Manistique, including the 4th of July!
Remember, every Wednesday through August 29th, Music in Manistique will follow the market at 7pm in the band shell behind the arena. Tomorrow’s band will be the Jef Nelson Trio, and next week the Floyd Brothers of Manistique will provide music to celebrate the nation’s 236th birthday.
Fresh local foods expected at this week’s market include:
- Fresh UP produce: carrots, broccoli, garlic scapes, lettuces, spinach, beets, rhubarb, strawberries, onions, radishes, kidney beans, wheatberries, herbs, and more!
- Fresh UP honey and beeswax products
- Fresh ground wheat and oat flours, and corn meal
- Variety of jams, baked goods, dried pastas, and granola – all locally produced!
- Beef, beef sticks and free range eggs from happy UP chickens
Remember: WIC and Senior Project FRESH coupons are accepted at the Manistique Farmers’ Market.